The following guidelines are included to help you with an initial feasibility review of your selected venue. It is by no means intended to be comprehensive in scope, so if you have any queries, please call the Langham Arts Office.
Suggested Stage Size
- 65-75 piece orchestra: minimum 12m x 12m (or 144 sq metres)
- 25-30 piece orchestra: minimum 7m x 8m (or 56-60 sq metres)
- 6-8 piece group: minimum 3m x 3m (or 9-10 sq metres)
- Are extensions/risers needed and/or available?
Number of Music Stands Required
- 65-75 piece orchestra: 40-50 stands
- 25-30 piece orchestra: 20-25 stands
- 6-8 piece group: 1 stand each
- If no stands available we can bring our own
Other Stage Requirements
- Chairs: Sufficient suitable chairs for the group (ask us to define suitable if you are not sure!)
- Conductor’s rostrum: * optional
- Piano: Grand piano suitable for orchestral use
- Organ: In working order & tuned to 440 concert pitch * if available
Minimum Light & Sound Requirements
- standard orchestral concert lighting (& if possible some facility for at least basic colour washes)
- profiles or fixed spots over conductor & soloist postions
- house lights with dimming facility
- 1-2 stand microphones for soloist(s)/speaker (i.e. suitable for trained singing and speaking voices)
- 1 radio lapel microphone for conductor.
- 2-3 small fold-back speakers for pianist & soloist
Optional but appreciated good communication between sound & light control points & backstage.
Minimum Backstage Requirements
- 2 large dressing rooms (or equivalent smaller rooms)
suitable for up to 35 people each with sufficient washbasins/toilets/mirrors/chairs
- 3 small dressing rooms
for conductor, soloist, speaker – also with suitable washing facilities etc
- 1 large room
suitable for up to 80 people (for prayer and/or catering)
- ideally good access and parking for van carrying equipment
- 1 small room (optional)
- suitable for support team office
Catering facilities (minimum)
- reasonable area for serving refreshments
- if possible also suitable area for serving a meal for upto 80 (or suitable nearby alternative eg church, hotel etc)
- ideally, apart from the loading bay, sufficient secure parking for coach & a small number of cars
FRONT OF HOUSE (ideal requirements if possible)
For Prom Praise around 2,000 reserved seating is preferable. For a one-off (i.e. not part of a tour) anything less than 1,500 is unlikely to be viable. Less than 1,000 should consider a smaller-scale event.
The presence of a resident box office either computerised or manual is preferable. However, a willingness to allow sales to be taken off the premises can be useful.
Either manned bars/cafes or at least space and facilities for refreshments to be served.
Sufficient facilities for a capacity audience.
Either provided in the hire or the willingness to allow a volunteer team to come in, for tickets and programme distribution.
Optional VIP room
Large room suitable for a VIP guest reception in interval
For all these things the following questions should be asked:
Is this included in the hire charge?
If not, how much extra will it be?